Nahum - The Fall Of
1. At the same time Jeremiah and Zephaniah were pronouncing judgment
, another prophet was directing his attention at one of Judah
2. The prophet was Nahum, whose name means "Consolation"
a. The name "is in a sense symbolical of the message of the book,
which was intended to comfort the oppressed and afflicted people
of Judah" (Eiselen)
b. Concerning the MAN
1) His home was Elkosh, of which little is known - Nah 1:1
2) Some think that
Capernaum(lit., " ") may have villageof Nahum
been his birthplace
3) He was contemporary with Jeremiah, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah
b. Concerning his MESSAGE
1) His message is usually dated around 630-612 B.C.
a) The northern kingdom of
was already in Assyrian Israel
Assyriaitself was still a world power, though in a state
2) The theme of his message is simple: "The Fall Of
a) This makes his work a complement to that of Jonah
b) Though by this time no mercy would be shown, judgment would
[The book of Nahum can easily be divided into three sections which
coincide with the three chapters. In the first section we find...]
'S DOOM DECLARED NINEVEH
A. THE CHARACTER AND POWER OF THE LORD...
1. God's vengeance, even though He is slow to anger - Nah 1:1
2. The fierceness of His anger described - Nah 1:3b-6
3. The goodness of the Lord, as a stronghold to the faithful
- Nah 1:7
4. The pursuer of His enemies - Nah 1:8
B. THE COMPLETE OVERTHROW OF
1. She will not afflict again, despite her plotting against the
Lord - Nah 1:9-11
Judahwill be delivered from 's affliction - Nah 1: Nineveh
's destruction has been commanded by the Lord - Nah 1: Nineveh
4. There shall be good tidings in
, she can keep her feasts Judah
- Nah 1:15
's doom in the first section, we now find...] Nineveh
'S DOOM DESCRIBED NINEVEH
A. THE SIEGE AND CAPTURE OF THE CITY...
1. Furious preparation for the battle is described - Nah 2:1-4
2. Resistance is futile, captivity has been decreed - Nah 2:5-7
a. Note verse 6: "The gates of the rivers are opened, and the
palace is dissolved"
b. "The Babylonian Chronicle tells that
fell because Nineveh
the flooding rivers made breaches in the city's defenses."
(Believers' Study Bible)
B. THE UTTER SACK OF THE CITY...
1. Her inhabitants flee, the city is plundered - Nah 2:8-10
2. Her destruction will be complete,
as a dwelling of Nineveh
devouring lions will be no more - Nah 2:11-13
's doom has been "declared" and "described" by Nahum. Nineveh
In the third and final section, we find him saying...]
'S DOOM DESERVED NINEVEH
A. BECAUSE OF HER SINS...
1. Her woe will be due to her sins - Nah 3:1-4
2. The Lord will uncover her shame and make her a spectacle - Nah
B. SHE IS NO BETTER THAN NO-AMON...
Ninevehis no better than No-Amon ( Thebesin ) - Nah 3:8 Egypt
2. Who despite her strength, was carried away into captivity
- Nah 3:9-10
3. So it will be with
- Nah 3:11 Nineveh
C. HER STRENGTH AND WEALTH WILL NOT SAVE HER...
1. Her strongholds will fail - Nah 3:12-13
2. All her efforts, her wealth, her army, will be futile - Nah
D. HER END HAS COME...
1. Her leaders are dead, her people scattered - Nah 3:18
2. Those who hear of her fall will rejoice - Nah 3:19b
1. The message of Nahum for the people of God is one of consolation...
a. That those who afflict God's people will be judged - Nah 1:2-3;
cf. Lk 18:7-8
b. That God is a stronghold in time of trouble - Nah 1:7; cf.
-- Are you trusting in God as your Stronghold?
2. The message of Nahum for those who do evil is one of warning...
a. Don't rely on what mercy was shown to your ancestors (e.g., as in
the days of Jonah)
b. The Lord may be merciful and slow to anger, but the day of
judgment does finally come!
-- Are you trusting in what your parents or ancestors may have done,
to escape the judgment of God?
This message of Nahum is reminiscent of the words of Paul:
"Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who
fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His
goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off." (Ro 11:22)
Let us be sure to "continue in His goodness", lest we too experience
the "severity of God"!