Fruits of Life
Ⅰ. Firstfruits of resurrection. “ Become the firstfruits of them that slept” (1. Cor.15:20).
Ⅱ. Firstfruits of the Spirit. “ Which have the firstfruits of the Spirit” (Rom.8:23)
Ⅲ. Firstfruits of the redeemed. “ We should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures” ( James 1:18).
Ⅳ. Firstfruits of Israel. “ If the firstfruit be holy,” ＆c. ( Rom.11:16).
Ⅴ. Firstfruits of Achaia. “ That it is the firstfruits of Achaia” (1. Cor. 16:15).
Ⅵ. Firstfruits of Asia. “ Who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ” (Rom.16:5).
Ⅶ. Firstfruits unto God and the Lamb. “ Being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb” (Rev.14:4).
── F.E. Marsh《Five Hundred Bible Readings》
The evidence of union with Christ is fruit bearing (John 15.)，and where there is no fruit there is no union, and no union means no life.
Ⅰ. Fruit of the Spirit. Love. “ the fruit of the Spirit is love” ＆c.(Gal.5:22).
Ⅱ. Fruit of Righteousness. Uprightness. “ Filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ” ( Phil.1:11).
Ⅲ. Fruit of Holiness. Separation to God. “ Being made free from sin, and become servants unto God, ye have your fruit unto holiness” (Rom 6:22).
Ⅳ. Fruit of our lips. Thanksgiving. “ Let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips” ( Heb.13:15).
Ⅴ. Fruit in Work. Consistency. “ Walk worthy of the Lord, being fruitful in every good work” (Col.1:10).
Ⅵ. Fruit of Work. Conversion and Consecration. “ That I might have some fruit among you” (Rom.1:13).
Ⅶ. Fruit of Generosity. Ministering to others. “ I desire fruit that may abound to your account” (Phil.4:17).
Ⅷ. Fruit unto God. God’s object in saving. “ Bring forth fruit unto God” (Rom.7:4).
── F.E. Marsh《Five Hundred Bible Readings》
The Secret Of Living Is Bearing Fruit
1. Suppose I could offer you a life that is guaranteed to give you...
a. A "joy" that is greater than any other
b. A "blessedness" that is happiness in its fullest measure
c. An "assurance" of entering the everlasting kingdom of our Lord
d. A "peace" that surpasses understanding
-- Would you be interested?
2. Of course, I myself cannot offer such a life; but Jesus can and does!
As He stated in Jn 10:10...
"...I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it
3. Jesus offers this "abundant life" not only by His sacrificial death
on the cross, but also by His teachings recorded by His apostles;
notice Jn 15:11...
"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you,
and that your joy may be full."
4. Through His teachings, then, we can learn the "Secrets Of The
a. Many of which are found in this very chapter (Jn 15)
b. Where Jesus pictures Himself as the VINE and His disciples as the
BRANCHES - cf. Jn 15:1-5
5. As "branches" we are to bear "fruit", and this leads us to the first
of several "Secrets Of The Abundant Life"...
"The Secret Of Living Is Bearing Fruit"
[To appreciate how this is true, consider...]
I. DIFFERENT KINDS OF FRUIT WE ARE TO BEAR
A. WINNING SOULS TO CHRIST AND HELPING THEM GROW...
1. Paul speaks of this kind of "fruit" in Ro 1:13
2. One of the characteristics of a branch bearing fruit is that it
produces a product identical to itself
3. Therefore, one way a disciple bears fruit is by producing
B. SHARING WITH THOSE IN NEED...
1. Paul speaks of contributing to the poor as a "fruit" in Ro 15:
2. In His own way, Jesus certainly did this - cf. 2 Co 8:9
3. So if the "Vine" did this, we should expect His "branches" to
do the same - cf. 1 Jn 3:16-18
C. DEVELOPING CHRIST-LIKE CHARACTER...
1. Notice that the "fruit" of the Spirit is the development of
certain graces - Ga 5:22-23
2. One who abounds in such qualities is growing in the "knowledge
of Jesus Christ" - 2 Pe 1:5-8
3. Indeed, he is being "renewed...according to the image of Him
who created him" - cf. Co 3:9-11
D. PRAISING GOD AND GIVING THANKS...
1. The author of Hebrews describes such activities as a sort of
"fruit" - He 13:15
2. Again, the "Vine" was known for such behavior - cf. Lk 10:21;
3. Should His "branches" do any less?
[These are different kinds of "fruits" we can bear as "branches" of the
"Vine." But how does bearing such fruit make for the "abundant life"
which Jesus promised?
II. THE BENEFITS OF BEARING SUCH FRUIT
A. THERE IS GREAT "JOY" FOR THOSE WHO WIN SOULS...
1. John says that there is "no greater joy" - 3 Jn 3-4
2. Paul's converts at Thessalonica were his "pride and joy" - cf.
1 Th 2:19-20
3. So those involved in the winning and confirming of souls for
Christ find great joy as they see the fruits of their labors
B. THERE IS GREAT "HAPPINESS" FOR THOSE WHO SHARE THEIR
1. They learn by experience the truthfulness of Jesus' teachings
2. Who said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" - Ac
3. The word "blessed" can be translated "O how very happy", so
there is greater happiness in giving than in receiving
C. THERE IS GREAT "ASSURANCE" FOR THOSE WHO DEVELOP CHRIST-LIKE
1. Those in whom "the fruit of the Spirit" is produced are free
from any condemnation of law - cf. Ga 5:23b; Ro 8:1
2. Those who abound in the "knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ"
(i.e., develop the graces described) have the assurance of an
"abundant entrance" into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord
- 2 Pe 1:8-11
3. For example, those who love in deed and truth have an assurance
of their salvation - 1 Jn 3:18-19
D. THERE IS GREAT "PEACE" FOR THOSE GIVEN TO THANKSGIVING...
1. For those with the "attitude of gratitude", there is the "peace
of God" - cf. Ph 4:6-7
2. A peace which...
a. "Surpasses all understanding"!
b. "Will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"!
1. A life filled with...
...surely that is the "abundant life"!
2. Thus "The Secret Of Living Is Bearing Fruit", and this "abundant
life" is available to only those who will "bear fruit" as "branches"
of the "True Vine" (Jesus Christ)!
3. But is there a secret to bearing fruit? Indeed there is, and our
next lesson will seek to discern from Jn 15 what that secret is.
For the time being, if you have not yet become a "branch" of the "True
Vine", have you given serious consideration to becoming one...?
NOTE: The general idea for this series of lessons was taken from "Five
Secrets Of Living", a small booklet written by Warren W. Wiersbe