"RESOLUTIONS FOR A NEW MILLENNIUM"
1. As the New Year approaches, we have the unusual opportunity to
experience not only the start of a new year...
a. But also the beginning of a new century
b. And the beginning of a new millennium
-- I speak accomodatively, for the new century and millennium
actually begin on Jan. 1, 2001
2. On the verge of a new millennium, it is natural for Christians to
a. It has been almost 2000 years since the promise of our Lord's
return - Ac 1:9-11
b. While this is a long time for us, we understand it is an
indication of the Lord's longsuffering - 2 Pe 3:8-9
c. And so we continue to look forward to His coming - 2 Pe 3:10-12
[As we enter the third millennium (provided the Lord does not return
before 2001), permit me to suggest some "Resolutions For A New
Millennium", beginning with a reminder of...]
I. OUR ULTIMATE GOAL IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM
A. TO BE READY FOR THE LORD...
1. To be found by Him in peace - 2 Pe 3:
2. To be without spot and blameless - 2 Pe 3:14b
-- Whenever the Lord returns, we certainly want to be ready for
B. TO REMAIN STEADFAST...
1. Lest we fall - 2 Pe 3:
17a; cf. He 3:12-14
2. Lest we be led astray - 2 Pe 3:17b; cf. 2 Pe 2:1-3
-- To be ready for His coming, we must make sure we do not fall
away through negligence, nor be led astray by false teachers!
[What could be more important, than to be ready for our Lord when He
returns? If it was important for Christians in the first millennium
(indeed, even in the first century) to be ready, how much more for us
in the third millennium? To ensure that we attain our ultimate goal, I
offer several resolutions for...]
II. ATTAINING OUR GOAL IN THE NEW MILLENNIUM
A. READ THE BIBLE DAILY...
1. It provides the way to salvation - Ja 1:21
2. It provides the nutrition for spiritual growth - 1 Pe 2:2
3. It provides the protection against drifting away, or being
misled by false teachers - He 2:1-3; Ac 20:29-32
-- Resolve to spend time each day feeding upon the Word of God!
B. PRAY EVERY DAY...
1. For the Christian, prayer is the means by which we remain holy
and without blame, for it is the way to forgiveness - 1 Jn 1:9
2. For the Christian, prayer is also the way to peace - Ph 4:6-7
-- If we desire to be found by the Lord in peace, without spot
and blameless, then "pray without ceasing" (1 Th 5:17)!
C. ATTEND ALL THE SERVICES OF THE CHURCH...
1. Our assemblies are designed to encourage faithful service
- He 10:24-25
2. It is one way we edify one another against falling away - He
-- Do not discount the importance of assembling with other
Christians to remain strong and faithful...attend every
service you can!
D. GROW IN THE GRACE AND KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST...
1. This was Peter's last written admonition - 2 Pe 3:18
2. He wrote of the blessings found in the knowledge of Christ
a. Grace and peace are multiplied - 2 Pe 1:2
b. All things pertaining to life and godliness are provided
- 2 Pe 1:3
c. There are exceedingly great and precious promises - 2 Pe
d. We can be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped
the corruption of the world through lust - 2 Pe 1:4
3. Peter described what is involved in growing in this knowledge
- 2 Pe 1:5-8
a. Applying all diligence
b. Developing the graces of a Christ-like character
4. He explained that diligence in this area will ensure an
abundant entrance into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord
- 2 Pe 1:10-11
-- This should be our "prime directive", made possible through
such tools as the Word of God, prayer, and the fellowship of
E. DISPLAY HOLY CONDUCT AND GODLINESS...
1. This we should do in view of what will one day happen - 2 Pe
2. Without holiness, no one shall see the Lord - He 12:14
3. The exercise of godliness has promise of the life to come
- 1 Ti 4:8
-- This display of holy conduct and godliness is especially
important as we spend the time of our sojourn among those of
the world - 1 Pe 2:12
1. Do we desire to remain steadfast?
a. Not led astray by the error of the wicked?
b. Found by the Lord when He comes, in peace, without spot, and
2. Then simple resolutions such as ...
a. Read the Bible daily
b. Pray every day
c. Attend all the services of the church
d. Grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ
e. Display holy conduct and godliness
...will go a long way to ensure a proper state of preparedness
We will therefore be ready for His coming, whether He comes in this
millennium or the next!